Skip to main content

Which system in your home do you think is most important?

Maybe you’ll say HVAC, as it’s crucial for comfort. Or perhaps you’ll answer “plumbing,” considering it’s vital for hygiene and sanitation.

There’s no wrong answer to our question, but here’s something to consider: if not for electricity, your HVAC won’t work. Neither will you get hot water if your heater relies on it (which most do). You may not even get tap water, as water suppliers use electricity to send this to your home!

That’s why you should never ignore the signs you need electrical repair. Because if your electrical system fails, you won’t be able to use most of the other vital systems in your home.

To that end, we created this guide to help you spot the symptoms of electrical woes. So read on, as we’ll also give you tips on addressing them. 

1. Dead or Defective Outlets

Non-working wall outlets indicate failed internal connections. This is typical in older outlets with widened ports that no longer hold plugs snugly. Your local electrician can repair or replace these with better, safer electrical outlets.

Dead outlets can also burn out due to strong electrical currents. The latter can trigger tiny fires in the wiring, damaging the outlets’ connections. You can usually tell this happened because the outlets have burn or scorch marks.

If you have burnt or scorched outlets, please stop using them. Have your local electrician fix them immediately, as they can be fire hazards. Electrical fires are prevalent in the U.S., causing 51,000 home electrical fires yearly. 

2. Flickering Lights

Flickering lights are sometimes due to dirty sockets or loose bulbs, so try cleaning and tightening them first. But before you do, turn the switch off or, better yet, the circuit breaker. This can help lower your risk of experiencing shocks, so it’s for your electrical safety.

Electrical shocks are also typical signs you need repairs, but more than that, they can cause injuries and burns. They can be severe enough to require professional medical help. And they’re common; in the U.S. alone, 30,000 non-fatal shock incidents occur yearly. 

Now, say you’ve cleaned and tightened your bulbs, but they still flicker. If so, it’s time to call a licensed Goodlettsville electrical repair service. You need their expertise to address the following culprits of “ghostly” lights. 

Malfunctioning Light Switch

An example is a loose switch that wiggles or doesn’t go into the terminal. Since it doesn’t stick into place, it can pop slightly back up, causing the bulb to flicker.

This issue is often due to loose or faulty electrical wiring caused by old age or improper installation. Regardless of the cause, you can rely on professional electrical repair in Goodlettsville, TN, to fix the problem. 

Circuit Overloads

A circuit overload occurs when a circuit receives more current than it can safely handle. This can cause multiple lights to flicker simultaneously.

Circuits have breakers designed to trip the flow of electricity when it exceeds the system’s capacity. But they may fail to do so if they’re old and malfunctioning.

You may experience a circuit overload whenever you turn on a high-voltage appliance. An example is your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system. It may be drawing more power than your electrical system can handle.

In that scenario, your HVAC system may be overloading electrical circuits. It’s pulling in more power, including what’s supposedly for your lights, causing them to flicker.

Your breakers should trip soon after that, but if they’re faulty, they may fail to do so. And if they don’t, it’s an electrical fire waiting to happen. So before that happens, please call an electric repair specialist ASAP. 

A Faulty HVAC System

Conversely, your comfort system may be to blame, as it may have an issue causing it to use more power than it should. An example is an AC unit with a failing motor, capacitor, or low refrigerant levels.

The good news is that some electrical experts in Goodlettsville also specialize in HVAC repair. Call these pros so they can check both your electrical and HVAC systems. 

3. Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping

Circuit breakers should trip when there’s an overload, but they shouldn’t keep doing so. If they do, it’s a sign you have a malfunctioning electrical system. It may be experiencing short circuits, ground faults, or have defective parts.

All those culprits can trigger electrical fires and cause shock incidents. So, if your breakers trip multiple times a month, have an expert inspect your system ASAP.

Besides, frequent tripping causes inconvenience and early wear and tear on breakers. Premature wearing can then make them more susceptible to failure. When this happens, they may fail to trip when they should. 

4. Smell of Burning Rubber

Suppose you want to do a bit of home cleaning, so you plug in and turn on a high-powered vacuum cleaner. However, the acrid smell of burning rubber hits your nose within a few minutes.

That indicates a fire is burning through plastic electrical components. These include outlet covers, coating, and insulation materials on cables and wires. 

Please turn off all appliances and devices and unplug them immediately. Then, head to your main electrical panel, check if it emits a burning smell, and listen for sizzling sounds. If there’s none, don a pair of insulated rubber gloves (if you have some) and switch off the main breaker.

Call a licensed electrical service provider right after. In the meantime, please ensure no one touches any light switch or outlet. 

Never Delay Necessary Electrical Repair

Non-working outlets, flickering lights, a breaker that keeps tripping, and burning smells are all signs you need electrical repair ASAP. Please don’t delay calling the pros to help if you experience these, as they can be dangerous if left unresolved.

Even if your electrical woes occur in the middle of the night, don’t worry. You can rely on our team at Lanham Mechanical Contractors for 24/7 emergency services.

So, if you need prompt, reliable electrical services in Goodlettsville, TN, get in touch with us now! We’re ready to assist whenever you need us.

(615) 880-8879